Friday, April 10, 2020

Full Moon Dream

April 8 - 9, 2020

I knew it was a full moon, but when I went to bed it was cloudy.  I awoke in the middle of the night with the room flooded with light and long blue shadows striping the backyard.  There's that moment between sleep and waking, a twilight time of consciousness where you don't know what's a dream and what's real.  I don't know if I experienced it while waking up or falling back to sleep.  But whenever it was, I wanted to linger there.  I felt like I was on water, nothing felt solid beneath me.  I was dizzy, but it felt like flying. My body was paralyzed but I wasn't scared.

During this nocturnal moonbeam voyage, my backlit bedding became waves and the round moon became a head of a person approaching me.  The water on my bed was getting rougher.  There was now a full figure at the foot of my bed, standing holding something in their hands.  

I felt a bit off yesterday.  Kinda sad, kinda lost.  For the first time in months, I didn't open my sketchbook. I totally forgot about all of this until today when I returned to draw in my journal. There was a perfect circle from a monoprint on the page with a figure-like shape coming down from it. When I saw it, the dream came flooding back.  I drew that figure with empty hands, but then this image came.  I think my dream visitor was rescuing an empty wooden sailboat out of the stormy seas.  
It's weird when art works out like this.  Sometimes it scares me.  Sometimes it feels exactly right. This was the original page I started with.  No wonder it reminded me of my dream.  It was perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment