Friday, April 10, 2020

John Prine

April 10

My internet was down for two days.  What a piss off. They said something went wrong with the tower.  I went a bit nuts and was scared to go over on my data.  Becca and I texted instead of FaceTime in order to save me overage fees. 

The first thing I saw when I got back online was that John Prine had died.  He was Grandma Kay's favourite.  We used to sing along to an old cassette in her '75 Peugeot, when she would drive me to the orthodontist in the city. I kind of went numb when I thought of those times.  I wanted to listen to Angel from Montgomery but knew that would do me in.  I noticed my tongue was slipping over my front teeth while I was remembering this.  Like it was missing the braces as much as I was missing Grandma.

I found a picture of JP that his wife had posted and blocked it out in pencil in my sketchbook.  Then, I went in with a brush pen and added watercolour, gouache and acrylic pen. 

I put it on the couch to photograph it for IG and right when I was focusing on it, a rainbow passed through.  I felt like Grandma was there in the room catching the sun in that crystal prism and aiming it over my shoulder. I didn't know what to do. So, I said, "Alexa, play John Prine".  Angel from Montgomery came on. 

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said and imagined - not faking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the sculptural nature of the artwork. The rainbow is out of this world. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete