Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Sue

April 13, 2020

Grandma Kay had a whole bunch of wacky artist friends. They used to go on an annual road trip to the Minnesota State Fair.  They'd pile into the Peugeot with a cooler full of frozen meatloaf sandwiches, junk food and Diet Dr. Pepper, and meet their friend named Sue at the fair. They'd all come home with their sketchbooks filled with drawings of animals, people in sunglasses, and little snippets of writing.  Sue is an artist in Stillwater who draws and paints bears.  Her work is awesome. 
She friended me on Facebook after Grandma Kay died and she's always sending me photos of her daily mandalas.  I never really go on Facebook, but I was so bored that I was looking at different art groups and it popped up that she had gone live. So I clicked.

OMG. I laughed. It was the perfect thing.  She was showing her sketchbook from the State Fair 2015.  I couldn't believe it.  She told about a beauty pageant for cows where first prize was a purple folding chair.  I remember hearing that story from Grandma.  She was so surprised to see me.  While she was showing us her ceramic "Hound of Accountability", I drew her. It was so fun.

I had stenciled in my sketchbook this afternoon, so I thought it was a pretty fitting page for Sue since it already had a built in mandala.


No comments:

Post a Comment