Friday, April 26, 2019

Friday Session - Drawing with Jake

When I got home yesterday after school, Jake was waiting on my front steps.  When he saw me come around the corner, he raced to greet me on the street to show me his new sketchbook.  His dad gave it to him for his Saturday classes at the WAG.  He said he was scared to wreck it.  I told him that I thought that was a very common fear, and the sooner he got over it, the better his art would become. In fact, we googled it and the word for fear of the blank page is VACANSOPAPUROSOPHOBIA.  I suggested he write that on his first page for a little art joke with himself.  We sat down on my front porch and I pulled out my sketchbook and fountain pen.  

I remembered a great exercise I saw online for freeing up drawing and imagination.  It was perfect for Jake and we did it together.  We looked down at my cracked sidewalk at the bottom of the steps..  I got him to draw the cracks on a page with my fountain pen.  I did the same in my book.  Then we made up drawings from the lines. He was pretty impressed with my waterbrush. It was really great to watch how much fun he had watching the ink run.

I told Dr. E about Jake’s art lesson, and again she asked me if I had ever thought of teaching art to kids.  I told her that it would be my dream job.  She suggested since I was looking for summer work that I check out Parks and Rec and see if there was anything remotely to do with teaching art.  I’m not going to get my hopes up, but I’m sure going to check it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment